Brahmi known as Bacopa Monnieri is a herb basically used in the Ayurveda treatment for Asthma and Epilepsy. Apart from the treatment of these diseases, Brahmi is also widely accepted to have magical curing power for many other diseases. It is considered to be an excellent brain tonic, improving cognitive functions including enhancing memory power and learning ability.
Indication for use
The plant is a creeping herb with thick and succulent leaves. Leaves of the plant are oblanceolate and are arranged oppositely on the stem. The flowers are small and white, with four or five petals. Breeding is often achieved through cuttings
Brahmi known as Bacopa, is a vital constituent of many Ayurvedic medicinal treatment. Considered a gift of nature, Brahmi has no side effects and hence can be used without any reservations. The herb has proven use in India from ancient times and is accepted all over for the treatment of various diseases today.
Pharmacologically, Bacopa is useful as:
- Brain tonic
- Anti-depressant, adaptogenic
- Anticonvulsive, hence useful in treating epilepsy
- Antioxidant, enhancing the antioxidant enzymes, SOD, CAT and GPX
Many of these properties have been proven in animal and human clinical trials. Bacopa may be indicated in the following conditions:
- Anxiety neurosis
- Impaired mental functioning
- Revitalizing intellectual functions in children
- Children suffering from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Improving cognitive functions in stroke victims
- Convulsive disorders